20 June 2006

Monday - Stealth Frivolity

I've been a bad blogger - no posts last week mainly due to the anti-bloggin influence of World Cup Football, Sunshine and the Barbeque.

No important games tonight! ;-) - so I'm catching up with this week!

--------------------------------------------------

Jez took his staff out for a team lunch yesterday. Come 2pm and the phones were ringing off the hooks. The reason, they still hadn't returned and my foursome had to cope with the lines on their own. Of course I could have gone running to Anne and squealed like the little rat that Jez is, but I'm sure you'll know - I'm not that sort of person. Just as I'd be responsible enough to make sure that the team is back to cover after lunch. I'd always consider the impact of this sort of action on the department as a whole.

Ted was fuming. He didn't get a chance to clear up any of his post. Even Jo was steaming. Both complained to me between greetings to customers, the mute buttons used with vigour. Of course when Jez returned, seemingly oblivious to the workloads his left us to deal with, he made no effort to get his team back online as quickly as he could. But we were equals in the eyes of HR. I wouldn't go running to Anne but I would confront him directly and reasonably.

"Jez. We've been a bit short here since 2 because your team was late back," I told him.

"Yeah. Sorry about that," He said. "It was unavoidable. The food was served late."

"But we've been under the kosh here," I added. Jez seemed uninterested. His team, including Kate were still buzzing from their pub lunch. Suddenly I felt like the company man Dave claimed me to be.

"If its a problem, just say so," said Jez without any real commitment. "And I'll make sure the team's back on time."

The irony is that Anne was overheard asking Kate if she was being worked harder now that she was in Jez's team. As far as Anne's concerned, Jez can do no wrong and incidents like this don't hit her radar.

Later, Gareth, a true rugby man from the valleys, was telling Dan and Ted how he'd watched the Brazil game at the weekend. When challenged about his motives he admited; "Usually there's always some Brazillian girls in the crowd that lift their tops when the camera's on them,"

"Yeah," added Dan. "I was disappointed this time. The only boobs I saw were Ronaldo's when he exchanged shirts at full time."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how disappointed I am that you didn't take advantage of Jez's misdeeds. You couldn't have called Anne and asked if she could find someone to help with your overloaded phone lines? You can't shoot her an e-mail explaining that your people might be a little behind on some project important to her because of this? You could always try to make it sound like you wanted to cover for Jez because his team-- so full of winners-- deserved this long lunch, even if Anne hadn't okayed it.

If you can't protect your team from crap like this, I may have to start rooting for Jez. Sounds like his team has more fun.

C'mon, now. I know you can beat Jez. You're a smart guy. You'll figure it out and then all your fans will be proud of you.