11 July 2006

Monday - IT Request Table Tennis

Surpisingly, there has been no fall-out from Jez about the inappropriately misdirected email. I've just played innocent and told him I was only following his request to email the team. How was I to know that he didn't want me to send the entire history of our discussion to Anne.

This brings me to another point. How come Anne didn't pick him up on his monthly reports absence? Tracey seems to think that she has it in for us and whatever we do will always be wrong, but I, perhaps naievely, believed that surely someone in Anne's position of authority would not behave so unprofessionally. Maybe she's not being so paranoid after all.

I've started the usual fun and games that begins with every request from IT for anything remotely to do with access or ID's. I've been lumbered with it as Tracey, Jez and I have been batting it to each other in the hope that someone else would do it. because, to be honest with you, the process is as much fun as extracting your own tongue with a blowtorch. I got stuck with this one as both Tracey and Jez have completed the last two.

The process starts with the completion of an online form which is sent to IT in Glasgow. There a mandarin, queries it, refers it and if you're lucky will then authorise it. From there it will be passed to various teams around the world in India, Ireland and eventually back to Glasgow. With any luck you'll end up with a completed IT request within the agreed service standards. This has never, ever been known to happen.

I was going to let the process defeat me. I would face it head on like a matador to a bull. I phoned the Glasgow office in the afternoon. That would have given them the few hours that they would have needed to at least authorise the request.

To my surprise I was told that the request had been rejected. The reason - that there was a piece of information missing from the five gig request that I'd completed.

"Why didn't you phone me?"

They had but had been unable to get an answer and so they'd closed the request.

"I have voice mail, why didn't you leave a message?"

The minion I was speaking to couldn't answer. His notes just said that I could not be contacted. I offered to provide the missing information but it was to no avail. They would not and could not reopen a closed request. I would have to start the entire process again.

First point to the IT request team.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I work in IT and I see this happen a lot. On behalf of all those in the world who try to make internal customers happy, I apologize for their behavior.

The good news is that the bad behavior of some IT staff is beginning to catch up with them. At least in my area, those who refuse to cooperate have often been shown the door.

I'd offer to come work for your IT dep't and do some housecleaning, but you don't make your company look like a real winning employer.

Still, I could at least live in the UK for a while, I guess...