26 July 2006

Wednesday - Smelly Temp

Emailed instructions from Anne today as she was away at Head Office: 1- Make sure that backlog's cleared. 2-Keep phone levels at 95% 3- Deal with Jez's temp hygiene problem.

I had to reread the third instruction three times before it sank in. She wasn't referring to Dave but Jez's other temp - Sue. Sitting over the other side of the office I wasn't aware that she had a hygiene problem and as she was Jez's temp I couldn't understand why I had to deal with it.

The trouble is how do you approach something like that? Just tell them they smell? Suggest they use deoderant? What if it's due to a medical condition? I don't want to hurt the woman's feelings and she always looks likes shes about to burst into tears.

I prepared my interview with her and plan exactly what I'm going to say. I even prepared responses to anticipated replies.

I took Sue into a meeting room, the odour was like a solid wall. I could have chewed on it if I'd dared to breath.

"Sue," I began. "I've been asked to speak to you -"

Before I could finish she interupted me.

"Oh sorry have I forgotten to spray again?"

I nod.

"Sorry I was in such a rush this morning. Can I nip out to Boots and sort myself out?"

I have no alternative but to let her go. Surprisingly she returns and balsts her pits in the middle of the office without any hint of embarrassment.

"Can you sort out Gareth's wind problem as well," Suggests Ted.

No comments: