01 August 2006

Tuesday - The most arrogant man in the world

We live in a 24 hour, want-it-now, customer-is-always-right society and it shows in the attitudes of some of our callers. I have been threatened with Watchdog, the severest of letters to MP's and even on one occassion 'to be sorted out' when I left the office, but most of the time its just a nod and a wink and a 'what can you do for me? '. Because everyone knows, if you don't complain, you don't get.

If we're in the wrong, its easy to deal with, apologise profusely, offer some sort of compensation - not neccessarily monetary, but if we're not then that's a different story. I've known of customers who've lost their houses and families through the most monumental corporate cock-ups and then apologise to us for inconveniencing us when they call in six months later to chase things up and then others who'll demand thousands of pounds in compensation because we've got an extra 'e' in their surname. Even though it was copied from their own handwritten proposal form.

This brings me to today's subject - Mr Arrogantarse - yes, you know who you are. No use hiding.

Ted called me over to his desk.

"I've got someone who insists on speaking to a team leader," Ted said. I nodded and switched into sympathetic but firm senior staff member mode and took the handset from Ted.

"Hello. My name is Luke Willshire. I'm Ted's team leader, how may I help you?"

"Are you a manager?" The voice asked.

"I'm a team leader," I said foolishly.

"I asked for a manager." His voice started to increase in pitch as if someone was winding him up. "I specifically asked for a manager. I don't believe this company,"

"I am Ted's direct line manager," said hoping to placate the caller. wasn't going to argue semantics and the corporate heirarchy.

"I don't want to speak to you. I asked for the most senior manager there. Are you the most senior person in your office?"

This could have gone two ways. I could have blagged it as other colleagues have done but this could backfire and badly.

"No. But I am the best person to help you with your enquiry. If you could tell me what it is about then -"

"Not good enough. I want to speak to the most senior manager. I want to speak to them now. I don't want to talk to you. You are not a manager."

I had enough of Anne telling me this everyday. Now the customers were too. Anne was in her cave scowling at bar charts whilst loading a heavy duty salmon and cream-cheese bagel into her mouth. Gary was at his desk reading e-mails.

"I'm afraid the manager is on the phone at the moment," I said. "Could you tell me what this is in realtion to?"

"What is his name?"

"Anne Sullivan," I said. She wouldn't be happy.

"Well she better be speaking to God because only he is more important than me," said the caller.

"I will get her to call you back," I said thinking that I could give her some breathing space.

"As soon as she is off the phone," the caller said and then hung up the phone. I didn't get his name or number. Was he that arrogant - or stupid to believe that we knew exactly who he was or what his number was.

I checked with Ted to see if he had any more information. He didn't. The only thing he'd said was that he wanted to speak to a manager.

"You could always tell Anne that Jesus called and she knows where he is," said Dan.

No comments: