01 March 2007

Thursday - Shhhhhh!

Some days I feel like I'm trapped in a cage with a sleeping bear. No matter how much I tip toe, I know that bear isn't going to stay asleep forever and soon it'll wake, notice me and it a fit of pique rip me to shreds just because didn't nod my head on cue.

Today was one of those days. Anne had imprinted the strategy for today at 8:30 when just Tracey, Jez and I were in.

"ITS VERY DIFFICULT FOR ME TO CONCENTRATE IN HERE WITH ALL THIS NOISE OUT HERE. I'VE A LOT TO DO AND I DON'T EXPECT TO HAVE TO COME OUT HERE AGAIN!" She snarled at us before disappearing back into her dark and strangely smelling corner.

A damage limitation exercise followed. As the teams drifted in, I casually and quietly requested that they keep things down for today. Everyone was compliant apart from Gareth.

"What? Why? Does that mean we can't answer the phone?" He boomed in that deep Valleys accent of his.

"No," I mouthed in the vain hope that he might take a hint. "but no idle chit-chat about Eastenders or the six nations,"

"We need to be able to make small talk between calls. It helps morale,"

"She's always singling us out," added Jo, now following Gareth's lead and standing up for her rights. "Jez's team spent all yesterday afternoon talking about Steve's ingrowing toenail but Anne didn't say anything to them,"

"It doesn't matter what they do," I said. "We mustn't do anything to annoy Anne today,"

"I'm sorry but I can't be quiet all day. It's not practical," said Gareth, his voice getting louder and louder.

Jo and Dan joined in. They all started talking at once, creating the very row that I'd been so determined to avoid.

"Dan. Jo. Gareth. Please let me explain, " I said through gritted teeth but it was too late.

"Luke!" Bellowed Anne from the shadow of her nest. "I expect you to lead by example and all I can hear is your yapping. I don't want to have to say it again!"

Still. At least it shut the team up.

No comments: