04 September 2006

Monday - Dissent in the Ranks

Gareth's become very agressive lately. I held a long overdue team meeting today to hammer home to the team Anne's usual points of contention. Whereas before timesheets had too much detail, now she finds that there isn't enough information on them.

"I don't see why we have to complete timesheets. Does Anne have to fill in a timesheet when she works?" said Gareth.

Anne's reply to her team leaders would have simply been- I'm the manager. I don't need to justify my time to you. - but I couldn't have told the team less I risk being strung up from the aircon.

"The timesheets are needed to measure quantifiable workflow processes. Anne's role is to oversee processes and identify best working practices. You couldn't really measure her work with a timesheet," I told the team. I felt quite pleased with my snappy on-the-spot response.

"I still don't see why she can't complete a time sheet. She could have a section for shouting a people. One for making people feel small and insignificant." Gareth continued unwilling to submit.

"Another one for name dropping board members as if they were her best friends in phone conversations to other department heads," Added Jo in an uncharacteristically accurate observation.

"Anne should complete a timesheet every day just as we have to," said Gareth.

"Look," I said reasonably. "The only person who could assess Anne's use of her time is Des and he hasn't asked Anne to complete a timesheet. Anne is our boss and she wants use to complete them. Until Des asks Anne to do the same, it just isn't going to happen."

The team accepted my answer.

After the meeting I pulled Kate to one side to speak to her after returning to us from Jez's team. I asked her how she felt about rejoining my bunch of misfits after a brief moment in the ascendancy of Team Jez. I almost apologised to her.

"No. It's okay," Kate said. "Jez is alright but they don't get much work done," she said.

It was all I could do to stop myself from pumping my fist Tim Henman style. I was on a roll.

No comments: