18 September 2006

Monday - The Food Chain

"Who's doing the stats now that Sue's gone?" Jez asked me while leaning over my shoulder in that overbearing friendly way of his that brought to mind bears and picnic hampers.

How should I know? Why did he think this was my responsibility? Sue had been in his team, surely hers tasks were his to delegate.

Fatally I told him I'd ask Anne.

"Anne said that you were looking after it," Jez replied.

Fortunately my memory recall is good. Orders can often get lost in the fog of work.

"I was asked to provide a list of Sue's tasks. Twice. By Anne and Gary. Which I gave them. That was all. I wasn't asked to do anything with them."

By the time I got back to Anne to clarify my objective just to make sure that I was supposed to be delegating this task, something or someone had already got to her because the very mention of Sue's name was enough to send her into an apoplectic seizure.

"Its quite simple! Just choose a member of staff and ask them to record the stats. That's why I am a Manager and why you are where you are. And you're staying that way too," Anne said.

There's nothing like management motivational techniques to get me going.

No comments: