08 April 2006

Friday - Jedi Master

I was determined to deal with whatever Jez and Anne threw at me today. I got in even earlier than usual and crafted the finest of 'to do lists'. If it was a work of art it would have won the Turner Prize.

I was like a demon possessed. Using all of my training, I planned my workloads and co-ordinated my schedule. It went well at first. I had the unusual experience of crossing things off the list instead of adding more things on to it. I made sure Emma was fully occupied even though she wasn't in my team to avoid a reoccurance of yesterdays events. Even when Anne called her impromptu meetings and off-loaded her 'Takes immediate priority and has to be done now' tasks on me I was able to keep up focused on the list.

I spent some time with Kate, teaching her the ways of a Jedi master.

For negative feedback, find and report back on three positives, then deliver the negative, but as a development need rather than a mistake. Avoid apportioning blame. Explain the impact of the negative on the company. Kate took it all in. I truly was her Obi Wan Kenobi. But then the dark lord intervened. 'I am fed up of paying the wages of staff who can't be bothered to do a simple days work,' Anne bellowed across the room. I was summoned and then commanded to sack Emma. I asked why Jez couldn't to do it as she was his temp. The reply was just for me to get on with it.

Collecting myself I sat down with Emma and gave her the bullet. It wasn't working out, we needed someone who was more reliable I told her.

'That's ok.' Emma said understandingly. 'I needed to work for a company that's more reliable as well. And you're being closed down in a few months,' she said.

No comments: