24 April 2006

Monday - Kate goes over to the Dark Side

Kate has made herself at home in Jez's team. The air that 'she's one of us now' emanates smugly from his pack of coyotes. Call me paranoid but I can feel my one time ally beginning to switch allegiance.

Anne was late in today but she seemed to be in a surprisingly good mood. "Hello Luke. How are you?" she beamed at me in a way that had me looking aroudn to see if another Luke was behind me. "Ok, thanks." I said in a non-commital way.

Later, Gary pulled me to one side. "Anne said that you were extremely negative this morning when she said hello to you," I didn't know what to say. Ok. So I didn't jump up and down clapping my hands. I was busy. I had work to do. I'm a team leader not a game show presenter on speed. "I just said I was ok," I told him.

"Well she isn't too happy about it. You haven't done yourself any favours. Be more positive next time," Gary said.

This afternoon I sounded Ted out as a potential second to replace Kate. He thanked me but wasn't interested. He didn't want any responsibility. In his words, he'd been there, done that and bought the extortionately-priced limited-edition tea towel from the gift shop. I told him what had happened earlier. "Surely its more important to do a good job than to be an empty suit with a vacant smile," I said.

Ted just smiled and patted me on the shoulder. "Of course it is," he said. But his smile seemed to indicate that he was humouring me.

No comments: