04 May 2006

Wednesday - You are 122nd in the queue. Thank you for your patience

What a week. I've not been online this week as the broadband connection has given up the ghost. Those very helpful customer service people in India for the ISP blamed the router. The router helpline - again in Bangalore - blamed the ISP. In the end I just trailed losts of wires across the house, much to the gf's dismay, reinstalled everything and here I am, back again! But a bit behind...

Team Leaders now have to complete time sheets as well. The hidden agenda is that we now have to justify every second of our time to 'those whose names we dare not speak' because theres a big, leaky hole in the company and our profits are falling through it.

After all, who's most likely to be ripping off the company? The put-upon wage slaves, chained to their desks, given little freedom and earning just above the minimum wage or the gluttonous managers with quadruple the salary, company cars and mobiles, expense accounts, the freedom to work from home whenever they feel like it - sorry whenever necessary - and an even bigger percentage bonus of an even bigger raise. I know who my money is on, but I'm staying stumm. Squeeze those minions!

After our entertaining meeting, I caught Dave loitering with intent at Jo's desk.

"Alright monkeyboy," Dave said to Dan. "Whas tha matter. You bin flinging faeces around again?"

"Dave. Go back to your team and stop bothering the staff," I said, whilst making a shooeing motion as if he was a big and unwanted fly.

"Thas nice innit. I'm only having a bit of a joke with 'im. Iss only a bit of a larf,"

"Go. Now."

Dave skulked off muttering something about me being a jobsworth under his breath. He returned later under the premise of wanting to ask a work-related question.

"I jus' wanted to know," said Dave casually. "If you prefer pencils?"

Dave is 26, although the eruption of acne across his face seemed more in tune with his mental age.

"Dave." I said very deliberately. "You are not Tim. Jo is not Dawn. This is not a set from a BBC sitcom and I am most definitely not Gareth."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We missed you, buddy. Glad to see you're back on the grid.