27 October 2006

Friday - Gareth Gets his Groove Back

I've done it. I've blogged everyday this week.

Of course I am tempted to just leave today's blog at that, but this, I think would be cheating.

It was Gareth's turn in the interview room for his performance review meeting. Anne and Jez would say that he's a mouthy and opinionated little git but I can see beyond that. He's just a very passionate person who cares about his work. Its just his approach that requires revision.

I explained that the meeting is just an open two-way discussion.

"How do you think your colleagues see you?" I began.

"With their eyes," Gareth laughs. "No only joking. Hard-working. knowledgeable. Helpful." He recalled his CV from memory.

Trying different tact I ask: "Has there been anything that has annoyed you over the year. In respect of working practices?"

Gareth chewed on this before answering. "Yeah. There's been a few things that I've not agreed with,"

"And how have you dealt with these situations?" I probed.

Gareth now looked uneasy. Not really a position I wanted him to be in.

"Ok. You may not agree with something but you have to do it at the end of the day," He said.

"So you wouldn't tell Anne that something is a 'load of bollocks and whoever thought of this is an idiot'?"

"I wouldn't say anything like that," said Gareth defensively.

"No. But you did on an email to her," I told him whilst handing him my evidence. A hardcopy of a message sent by Gareth on the 3rd of October,"

"Ah," said Gareth.

From that point on it was easier to get my point across. Gareth had to watch what he said and stop his overheated emotional outbursts. His responses to things that he didn't agree with had to measured and handled professionally. By all means question his colleagues, I didn't want him to stop that and if he could do this and stop asking every new recruit what their salary was then he'd be a little closer to the next rung of the ladder.

------------------------

I peered into Anne's cave later that afternoon.

"Have you had a chance to look at Kate's recommendations yet?" I asked cheerily.

Anne waved me away. "I'll have to look at it next week,"

No comments: