24 October 2006

Tuesday - Dan with the Plan

"So," I began in Dan's performance review meeting. "Where would you like to be in two years time?"

Dan pondered it for a second before answering; "On a beach somewhere hot, sipping a cold stella,"

"Ah," I said, slightly taken aback. "What about work?" I probed.

"No. I wouldn't be working. I would probably own a bar or something and spend all day lounging around the pool and then in the evening I would entertain young lady friends."

"Right," I said desperately trying to think of a way to introduce the company's role in realising his dreams. "And what are you doing to achieve this goal? I mean, you are here now. How do you get from here to the pool and the bar?"

"I dunno. Probably my DJ'ing?"

"You DJ?"

"Yeah. Got a couple of decks," He motioned spinning a record with his reight hand.

"Do you play any clubs?"

"No. Not yet. Just practice in my bedroom mostly." Dan said without the slightest hint of embarrassment.

"Dan. Why do you work for this company?"

"Dunno. Its a job isn't it. It's money at the end of the day,"

As Anne had previously instructed, I gave Dan a solid 3.

After shepherding Dan out of the interview room, I brought Kate in for her performance review meeting.

"Kate. Where do you see yourself in two years time?" I asked her.

"In Anne's chair telling you what to do" Kate said.

No comments: