25 October 2006

Wednesday - All Systems are Go

Despite the start, Kate's performance review meeting ended a lot better than it had began. It's so much easier to incentivise someone when they are interested in what they do and want to do it well. I impressed myself with my creativity in setting Kate's objectives and I would hope that she left the meeting feeling energised and motivated.

One of Kate's bugbears was the application we use to record complaints. As a system, it was designed by real IT geeks whose concept of the term 'user friendly' is that the user doesn't swear at their system and has an indepth working knowledge of C# and SQL. I have a rudimentary knowledge which means that I'm treated with slightly less contempt than the other users.

There were a number of minor issues with the system that although are not massive, do impact on the effectiveness of users working with it. If anyone was inspired I was - Kate had motivated me to do something about them. It was an inhouse system anyway so it wasn't as if we were trying to rewrite Microsoft Windows. I asked Kate to prepare a list of 'suggested improvements' and then from this drafted a business case including cost savings.

Anne almost fell off her chair when I approached her cave with our document in hand.

"I'll look at this some point this week," Anne said.

You know. I almost feel like she just might.

No comments: