17 October 2006

Tuesday - Everyone's average

It's appraisal time. This is the one part of the year where I actually feel like I'm earning my teamleaders salary. This is my chance to assess each team members' contribution for the year and score it accordingly. But more importantly, its time for me to have a lengthy one to one with them so that we can identify any strengths and weaknesses and then by targeting them, motivate them for the coming year. In my view the entire process is about the staff and allows them to get a say in their work. I find that this really helps morale.

As with most appraisal systems there is a grading structure running from 1 to 5, with 1 meaning exceeding expectations and 5 being out the door sometime soon. It also has an impact on pay and for this reason can be controversial so its all the more important that the assessment is right and that I'm able to get the buy-in of the staff.

I'd already started thinking about gradings - the final grading comes after the appraisal meeting and the staff member has been able to put their case across - when Anne told all of her team leaders that this year everyone is to get a 3 irrespective of performance. Tracey, feeling brave, challenged this. But Anne's decision was final. Everyone in her department gets a '3' and no-one in the company is allowed a 1.

"So why have a five point grading system? Why not have just 4 if no-one is allowed a 1?" I asked.

"Because the highest performers have got to have something to aim towards," said Anne.

I know. It didn't make any sense to me either but there you go. I'm sure someone somewhere feels that there is a logic to this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep. We have the same thing too in my company. We're given a mark to aim towards but what the management don't tell you is that secretly no-one is allowed the highest grade.